We, the World Cultural Council (WCC) participate in cultural, scientific, educational, and artistic activities throughout the world. The WCC recognizes that privacy is important and we are committed to protecting your privacy. This policy applies to the use of personal information within the field of interest of the WCC. Please read this policy carefully and contact us with any question or comment.
Personal information that we may collect from you
Information is provided as you fill in forms on our website or when you correspond with us by e-mail, in writing or otherwise. Depending on the frequency of our joint interactions, the types of personal information we may collect include, but are not limited to:
- name and contact information (mailing and e-mail address)
- institutional affiliation
- employer or the organization that you represent
- civil status
- date of birth
- dietary and travel preferences/requirements
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- diplomas and certifications
- letters of recommendation
- publications and publication lists
- relevant projects
- titles, honors, awards are recognitions
- other information you may freely wish to share with the WCC
When visiting our website, we may collect the following information to monitor how visitors use our website and to improve the user experience. Login details can be remembered so that you do not have to enter them each time.
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address
- login information to our website
- your geographic location
- browser type and version
- browser plug-in types and versions
- operating system and platform
- Website analytics
- Web cookies relevant to the WCC website
From time to time, and as permitted by applicable law(s), we may collect personal information about you from third-party sources, including publicly available data sources, your employer, or your university or school. This information is solely used to update any existing personal information we may currently hold and would only be used in connection with award ceremonies and business conducted by the WCC.
Storage and processing of media are in adherence with applicable EU law.
How we use your personal information
The WCC may process your personal information in the following ways:
- communication in connection with a WCC event or associated event
- ensuring proper personal identification at an event
- making sure dietary preferences or similar can be met
- quality assurance and development of future events
- archiving for research and statistics purposes
- operating and improving our website to facilitate its use
- keeping you updated about our events and activities
- providing access to restricted parts of our website
- producing statistics about the usage levels of our website to allow us to understand what we are doing well and where we can improve the online services we offer, as well as other internal purposes, such as website and system administration or internal audits and reviews.
We also use photography, video, and audio recording to promote events publicly and to share events remotely with those who are unable to attend in person. This material is also used in our communication work and to provide an archive of the events.
Personal information processing
The WCC will only process data for legitimate interests that advance and enhance the goals and purposes of the WCC. This includes but is not limited to:
- sending personal invitations to WCC events and award ceremonies,
- inviting you to submit candidates for future awards,
- seeking potential partner organizations for hosting future events
- inviting distinguished individuals as new jury members and
- informing you of notable achievements of past awardees and members
Depending on the circumstance, we may contact you by post or e-mail. Post mail will be non-intrusive and is processed on the grounds of legitimate interests.
When we have consent, you may receive e-mail updates including, but not limited to, our online content, news, updates and events. You are free to withdraw this consent at any time. We will not send e-mails if you have opted out of receiving them.
The WCC annually organizes an Award Ceremony in a different country with a renowned university or academic institute acting as host. The Ceremony could be a free-standing event or within the framework of an academic summit, conference or other major academic event. The WCC only shares limited contact information with the host organisation for the purpose of the event. The host receives information about you, including your name, honorifics, institutional affiliation, and other publicly available data that will only be relevant to the award ceremony.
We have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request; (b) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; and (c) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of the WCC’s interests, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, for example, or how many users used a particular service. Such information does not identify you individually.
The WCC’s website and e-mail communications may include links to third-party website and services, mainly referring to Award Ceremony hosts. Please be aware that the WCC is not responsible for the privacy practices of any third party.
Request to access to your personal information (commonly known as a “subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you. If you would like to know which data of your personal information we process, you are welcome to contact us.
Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. If the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, or your personal information changes (such as your e-mail address), the WCC will correct, update or remove that personal information as appropriate, wherever you notify us thereof.
A right to withdraw consent. You have the right to fully or partially withdraw a given consent regarding the processing of personal information at any time.
Request erasure of your personal information. This allows you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where the data no longer are necessary for the purpose for which they were collected or processed. Except where this Privacy Statement contains any other deviating provisions regarding the storage of data, the data collected by us will be stored as long as necessary for the purposes for which they were collected, as stated above.
Request the restriction of processing your personal information. You can request us to limit the processing of your personal information.
Object to processing of your personal information You also have the right to object to the processing of your personal data if your personal data is processed for other purposes than the fulfillment of legal responsibilities or the provision of services. You may object to the processing of your personal data for purposes of direct marketing, even if the basis for such processing is consent given by you in the past.
Compliance and Changes
If you have any questions about this policy, or believe that we have not adhered to it, please contact us.
Or send us your comments in writing to:
World Cultural Council
Case Postale 8
1630 Bulle 1